Precious Metals IRA
Kitco works with reputable custodians to help you hold precious metals in your IRA. Below are some frequently asked questions to help you get started.
- What is a Precious Metal IRA?
- How do I get started?
- Which partner IRA Custodian can I hold my metals with?
- How can I designate Kitco as my account representative?
- Which precious metals can I hold in my IRA?
A precious metal IRA allows you to diversify your retirement holdings with precious metals. The United States government allows physical gold, silver, platinum, and palladium to be held in an IRA. All bullion that you purchase through Kitco for your IRA will be held with one of our partner custodians.
To start investing in your precious metals IRA, you'll need to open an account with both Kitco, as well as with one of our partnered custodians, of your choosing. You can chose among different types of IRA's with your custodian, such as a Roth, or traditional IRA. Your custodian can give you more information about the types of IRA's, and which may be best for you; they'll also advise you on how to transfer or roll over funds to your account. Once your account is funded through your custodian, give us a call and let us know you'd like to place an IRA order.
Kitco, the world’s most trusted precious metals company, has established relationships with some of the most highly reputed, market-leading IRA custodians to help you gain the advantage of precious metals in your IRA. To enjoy streamlined procedures and quick service, set up a precious metal IRA account with any of the our following partner custodians‡
GoldStar Trust Company
New Direction IRA, Inc.
Provident Trust Group
NuView IRA, Inc
American Estate & Trust
Self Directed IRA Services
The Kingdom Trust Company
Next Generation Trust Services
‡ Kitco Metals Inc. does not endorse or assume responsibility for the content of external or third-party websites.
Certain custodians offer the advantage of designating Kitco as your account representative. Designating Kitco as your account representative eliminates any paperwork and follow ups that may be necessary to complete your IRA transactions. Once a precious metal IRA purchase or sale is placed, Kitco will communicate with your custodian on your behalf to ensure you transaction is finalized without complications and in a timely manner. Ask your custodian if they offer this service and they'll help get you started.
To qualify for inclusion in your IRA or 401K, a precious metal product must be manufactured by a recognized national mint. Products of a certain specified purity level are also allowed if they are made by refiners that either have ISO 9001:2008 certification or are named on an industry-standard list. Kitco offers a very wide range of products that meet these requirements. The list below is a simplified list of common items all of our partner custodians accept. Contact your custodian for a list with a wider range of offerings.
Gold Silver Platinum Palladium
- 1 oz Gold American Eagle coins
- 1 oz Gold American Buffalo coins
- 1 oz Gold Canadian Maple Leaf coins
- Gold bars from various recognized refiners
- 1 oz Silver American Eagle coins
- 1 oz Silver Canadian Maple Leaf coins
- 10 oz Silver Royal Canadian Mint Bar
- 100 oz Silver Royal Canadian Mint Bar
- Silver bars from various recognized refiners including Sunshine Mint bars
- 1 oz Platinum Canadian Maple Leaf coins
- Platinum bars from various recognized refiners
- 1 oz Palladium Canadian Maple Leaf coins
- Palladium bars from various recognized refiners